BBQ Recipes for Beginners
It can be difficult to know where to begin if you’re new to barbecuing. Maybe you’ve purchased a book or sought advice from a friend or family member who appears to know what they’re on about. Perhaps you’ve looked online or in social media groups for a few pointers, only to become baffled. However, the simplest way to learn this ancient skill is to simply do it. It takes practice, just like anything worth mastering. You’ll need practice managing temperature and time, factors that can derail a grilling session. To help you get started we have put together some of the easiest BBQ recipes to get you started.
Anyone can throw a burger or sausage on the grill, so our two recipes consist of the things you probably crave but haven’t had the courage to attempt.
Easy BBQ Recipes
Buffalo Chicken Wings
Traditional Buffalo chicken wings are fried, but you’ll love the flavour and convenience of grilling them. Now this dish takes a little bit of tender loving care with a marination time of 4 to 12 hours if you want to get the most out of it. This being said the result is definitely worth the wait, so what do you need to start?
BBQ Recipes Ingredients:
- Enough chicken wings to feed your guests
- 1/2 cup Tabasco sauce or other hot sauce of choice
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tsp coarse salt
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- Wash the chicken wings in cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Remove and discard the tips of the wings or leave them on depending on your preference. Cut each wing in half through the joint.
- Prepare the marinade in a large mixing bowl, combine the hot sauce, lemon juice, oil, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix in the wing pieces and place in the fridge, covered, for 4 to 6 hours or overnight, turning the wings a few times to ensure even marinating.
- Preheat the grill for indirect grilling to medium. Place a large drip pan in the centre of a charcoal grill, preheat to medium, and then toss all of the wood chips or chunks on the charcoal.
- When you’re ready to cook, drain the sauce from the wings and discard it. Brush the grill grate with oil. Cover the grill and place the wings in the centre of the hot grate, over the drip pan and away from the heat. Cook the wings for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the skin is crisp and golden brown and the meat is cooked through. Begin basting the wings with some of the chosen hot sauce during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Place the grilled wings in a shallow bowl or platter and drizzle with the remaining hot sauce. Serve with dipping celery and blue cheese Sauce, as well as plenty of paper napkins and cold beer.
If you’re somewhere in between a beginner and an experienced barbecuer, then why not impress your guests this year with a classy salmon dish on the grill.
BBQ Recipe Ingredients:
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Dijon-style mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 2-pound salmon fillet (serves 4), pin bones removed
- Coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Soak your alder wood plank in cold water for 1 hour to cover.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high and prepare it for indirect grilling (400 degrees).
- Prepare the glaze In a mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, dill, and maple syrup.
- Drain and dry the adler plank. Arrange the salmon fillet on top and season generously with salt and pepper on both sides. (Place the skin side down at the end.) Distribute the glaze over the salmon evenly.
- Grill the plank with the salmon over the drip pan. Indirect grill the salmon for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the glaze is puffed and golden brown and the fish is cooked through. Check for doneness with an instant-read meat thermometer inserted through one end of the salmon: it should be around 130 degrees.
- Place the plank on a heatproof platter and serve the fish directly from it to really impress your guests.
Things to Take away
So now that you have learnt some basic BBQ recipes you’re ready to go! Remember to get a good BBQ going you need to have the right products; our charcoal range is perfect for getting your BBQ going quickly and sustainably. To stay up to date with everything we do and for helpful tips, follow us on Instagram and Twitter!